Friday, September 28, 2012

Enjoyable Movement: what exercise do you enjoy?

In my last blog post, I had introduced the concept of Primary Foods-- the areas of life that feed us that are not food.  One area is Physical Activity (or exercise, for the purpose of this article).

I know you have all heard this saying before: "The best exercise is the one that you will do."  How many of you know that is true?

Let me share a little bit about my journey with exercise.  In first grade, my class was playing softball and I got  hit--hard-- in the forehead with a softball.  I stood there- frozen -- as it hit me ( no pun intended) that a ball just flew into my head.  Ever since then, I have been a little afraid of the ball.  In P.E., when we would play volleyball, I would always duck when the ball came toward me, like it was about to attack me. In high school, we had to run a mile in P.E.  I hated to run-- absolutely hated it. But I did it because I had to.  Not to mention, I was living in Flagstaff at the time, and running in cold weather made my chest hurt.  I got to college and started being obsessed with exercise-- I was starving myself and exercise was just one other way to find the "perfect" body and feel in control at the same time.  I began to be obsessed with the very thing I hated-- I would run every day- and not just once-- twice a day.  In a way, I felt like I was punishing myself.

The irony of it all is, as I recovered from the eating disorder, I gradually began to really enjoy running.  Especially as I started running more for toning and strength, versus weight loss.  Also, I really liked the feeling I got afterward.  When my kids were young-- really young (Briana was only 6 weeks old)- I began an exercise program for moms called Stroller Strides-- we would jog with our strollers and then stop to do interval strength training.  I really loved it and got so much stronger because of it.


Once my kids got older, my exercise routine waxed and waned...and then the problems began... I started getting pain in my hip which lasted several months.. I eventually was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia once the pain had spread throughout my body.  That was the end of running and I felt very sorry for myself.  I remember feeling like I could never do intense exercise again.  I had turned to a friend who also had chronic pain , who had told me she wanted to try Zumba, and I thought she was crazy.

Well, now my Fibromyalgia pain is GONE (that is a story in itself), and I am really enjoying exercise again! This time, I am NOT running-- but I am doing the very thing I thought would be crazy-- Zumba!   I also really enjoy doing yoga!  What keeps me going? The feeling I get afterward!
Why do I exercise?  Not for weight loss, because I don't really need to lose weight.  Not because I think I should.  I exercise because it feels good, it helps me feel stronger, and I know that diet is only half the equation when it comes to getting healthy.

I don't even like to think of it as exercise... I like to think of it as Enjoyable Movement.  I feel more alive when I do zumba or yoga.  I feel more empowered.

Physical Activity is one of the Primary Foods... one of the "foods" in life that feed us.  How are you doing with this area? I challenge you to try one new form of "Enjoyable Movement" this week!

Kellie
Certified Health Coach
www.nourishedandnew.com

Subscribe to my free monthly newsletter and receive a free e-booklet titled "Top 3 Ways To Prevent A Sugar Binge Now!"  Go to my website for my details.

No comments: